Thursday, October 28, 2010

Finished for Friday: How to Make a Hamburger Costume

I have an untarnished record when it comes to Halloween costumes.  I have never made one.  I have scrounged thrift stores and eBay for components, I have helped assemble them, I have purchased prepackaged Darth Vaders and Hogwarts robes.

But this year my resolve faltered when Jungle Boy begged me to make him a hamburger costume.  My solution?  I supervised him while he made it.  This totally counts as a Finished for Friday.  It was no small feat to get this done between us.  It would have been 10x faster to do it myself.

 First, cut out some circles of cardboard.  Ignore mom when she says they're too big.  Cut out the felt slightly  larger than the top bun.  Thread a needle with mom's pearl cotton (because it's strong) and baste all around the edge.


 Rip open the bag of stuffing.  Ignore mom when she says to just open one end.  Fluff it out everywhere because it's fun.  Put a bunch of stuffing between the fabric and the cardboard.  Ignore lumps.


Flip it over. Stop for now and run off to 3-hour ballet class, leaving huge mess in the family room.



Come back the next day and wrap fabric around a cardboard circle for the bottom bun.  Use super glue and clamp it with mom's big bag of quilting clamps.  Be sure to wear the same sweatshirt you wore yesterday.  In fact, just wear that sweatshirt every day.  Ignore mom's pleas to wear a different one.


Cut some tomatoes out of felt, being careful to avoid whiskers as you go.


Glue them to the cardboard, and put some weight on them.  My son used a cat.



Cut out a bunch of lettuce and cheese.  Forget the glue now and attach it the manly way - with duct tape.


 Use leftover scraps to make a goofy hat.  Put on a brown shirt.  Suddenly remember you have a lower locker and there is no way you are going to be able to get into it today.


Few words can convey how exhausted we all were after the process of creating this costume.  One of us, at least, had to take a break.



  Thanks for playing along and Happy Halloween!

12 people stopped folding laundry to write:

Barbara Jean said...

thanks for hosting again.
Looking forward to what everyone has.

blessings

barbara jean

Roslyn said...

Can't wait to see the hamburger suit!

Lisa said...

Waiting for the pic! I bet it looks awesome.

Unknown said...

That's great! I love the way the cat had a part to play in making the costume.

Samantha said...

Oh my gosh, the hamburger costume looks great!

Alisa said...

That is a great costume! Even better that he made it *mostly* by himself.

Miri said...

Thanks for the chuckle-loved the duct tape! Just think-you have a new floor pillow for after Halloween!

Elizabeth said...

Oh, my goodness! I'm laughing at your great tutorial. Jungle Boy is SO cute! I love his hamburger costume. How clever of him!

xo -El

Unknown said...

Hi - thanks for posting your linky. Tell your son his "hamburger" turned out awesome!

I've been working on getting my player working again on the Holiday Traditions blog and it's now up and running. Filled with lots of beautiful Christmas music. I'm still trying to find some of the new music in the CD's I'll be giving away the day after Thanksgiving -

Bethlehem Skyline I & II
Downhere Christmas
Nora Jones

Be sure to sign up for my newsletter so you get your invite and extra entry into my holiday giveaways 11/24 - 12/8. Thanks!

Tina "The Book Lady"
http://familyliteracyandyou.blogspot.com
http://givingnsharing.blogspot.com
http://holidaygiftsandmore.blogspot.com

Tuff Man said...

HI:
I am just writing to tell you that i made one of these the other day using your directions, pretty much, and it worked great!!! I channeled my mother as to not make the costume too large, and I realized even with my "scaled down" version it would be too much of a pain in the ass to wear to school. Thank you though, and check out my blog of randomness at http://revdrtuffman.blogspot.com/

Thanks again

Luke

Unknown said...

Great costume, but how did yall make the straps to hold it over the shoulders? That's the only confusion I found my self in

Threeundertwo said...

Hi Mac, he made the straps out of even more duct tape. I would recommend using really looooong pieces so they can hold the weight of the costume. As I recall, he also used duct tape straps on the sides to attach the front and back so they wouldn't shift around. It was a production to put the thing on over his head. He was a big hit at school wearing this.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs